Isn’t this the cutest little young man – he is only 11 days old and I got the opportunity to take some photos of him, there was lots to learn and it was a wonderful opportunity to capture some unique moments … but there was also so much to be aware of.
I started off by watching and reading some web sites as this was totally new for me:
- Link 1, Link 2, Link 3
- I discover babies look best in black and white as it tones down their skin and makes the images look timeless.
- Shutter speed of 1/100 sec plus is essential .. on the shots I used a slower shutter speed I had movement – so having a higher ISO is more important. I also had image stabliser turned on!
- Props are great – I took 2 baskets with me, and they both worked – mum loved it too. I would love to try an old suitcase, or something … but the props need to be bigger too!
- I used too much white/cream – a darker colour in the basket and on mum for feeding would have been better as less reflective on baby.
- Babies sleep through anything once they have a full belly.
- My childcare background really helps with confidence – I was happy to handle the new baby and mum was relaxed and happy that I did it … she thought he looked so cute. Going into mum’s personal space needs talking about first.
- You had to go with the moment, i captured feeding, Dad holding the baby, and sleep time – and if the baby is not happy then a cuddle and a different shot … you need loads of time…
- You need to move – similar shots from all different angles, zoom in and zoom out.
- I want to capture more babies and I wish I had shots like these of mine, and the great news is this mum has an expectant sister… so I am hoping I get to have another go.
The photos that I gave to the Mum and Dad can be seen here: